[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 20:41:06 PDT 2010

Yes, I almost made that point, myself -- the one about wanting to avoid Marxism, which I of course wouldn't attribute simply to postmodernism. A friend and former colleague noted to me the other day that in some material she was reviewing from ostensible libertarians appealing for funding, the applicants took some very fundamentally Marxist approaches, but of course didn't realize it. The irony is that in many respects Marxism continues to affect basic approaches to history, even where people think of themselves as rejecting it.

But I agree, and thought something very similar when following a mailing-list debate not too long ago on just this question (and a couple of related questions), that is, that there was a certain categorical rejection of the idea that we might be able to describe historical periods and processes in terms other than those used by the people who lived it. And I wanted to say, do you really reject any attempt at all to generalize about history? But I admit I kept my mouth shut. Which in general I should do more often.