[lbo-talk] why liberal Dems are absolutely useless or worse

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 21:09:47 PDT 2010

Quoting SA:

"In the early months of the 2008 primaries, John Edwards concluded that single-payer was politically valuable enough that pandering to its supporters (recall that he pointedly stressed that his public option could lead naturally to single payer) would pay off." A few, separate points:

a) That politicians support public insurance may not be evidence of sensitivity on their part to populism--the business community as a whole, apart from the insurance industry itself, are in favor because it would potentially lower there costs and reduce the motivation for workers to engage in union action and so on.

b) It is not clear how the Public Option was any nearer single payer than existing Medicare/Medicade--it just amounted to a slight bureaucratic adjustment.

c) Public insurance--single payer--itself is only a slight step in the direction of public healthcare, such as the UK NHS (under assault, of course, by New Labor). A fact that puts in perspective just how flagrantly right wing even the "left" is in the is country.

Finally, I couldn't agree with the title more--liberal Dems are unless, all the more so for their smugness.

Peter Ward pontificatingwithoutalicense.wordpress.com