[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Mar 21 03:09:22 PDT 2010

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:38:04 -0400 Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Chris Doss
> <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> Touche.
> >

> In fairness to your point, though, I think his eventual resignation
> from the
> priesthood was triggered by Vatican disapproval of his political
> engagement.
> IIRC, John Paul II specifically prohibited priests from seeking
> civil office
> as a result of one of them winning some Latin American presidency as
> a left
> candidate. Unfortunately, Google is not yielding its secrets to me,
> and I'm
> on my way out the door.

I think the issue was the involvment of Catholic priests in the Sandanistas in Nicaragua, with the Sandanista government having several Catholic priests serving as cabinet ministers. That situation greatly irked John Paul II, who issued a directive that priests could not hold civil offices. That led, in the US, to Bob Drinan's resignation from Congress.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant