[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Mar 21 09:03:19 PDT 2010

I agree, it's entirely five minutes ago. And I also think some interesting people were included in its quite elastic boundaries - Lacan, for instance (whom Chomsky seems to have liked but thinks became "a quite conscious charlatan").

But we were talking about what questions were within the limits of allowable debate in history graduate departments ca. 1975-2000. Crudely put (and it was pretty crude), the collapse of the academic left in those days and its replacement by identity politics meant that pomo became a collecting vessel for "radicals" who didn't want to risk their careers. One could be intellectually radical ("all is indeterminate"), foursquare on racism, feminism, etc. (THAT'S not indeterminate), and thus risk no confrontation with power, academic or political. The result was the comfortably quiescent intellectual institutions that we've enjoyed for a generation. --CGE