[lbo-talk] Susie Bright reviews the Runaways movie

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 22 10:28:26 PDT 2010

At 06:38 PM 3/21/2010, Doug Henwood quoted:

>I'll tell you why dyke rock'n'roll legacy is important. Because in
>order to stand up to the shitheads who tried to keep young women out
>of EVERYTHING, you had to NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THEIR SEXUAL APPROVAL.

I read this just this morning:

http://www.laweekly.com/content/printVersion/884083

[...]

[Runaways drummer Sandy] West saw the Runaways as a team. While other band members were taking shots at each other, she was quick to punch out anyone who threatened or insulted her bandmates. She told her friend Jerry Venemann about an incident when the band was hanging out with the Sex Pistols in London. On a houseboat on the Thames, Sid Vicious kept pawing at Jett, who was in no mood, or condition, for love. West told him to quit. Vicious kept harassing Jett, so West picked up the skinny bassist and dropped him into the river.

And then it began to seem that the people the Runaways most needed protection from were the people with whom they were working.

[...]