[lbo-talk] the cost of the humanities

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at sydney.edu.au
Tue Mar 23 13:44:33 PDT 2010

It depends, of course, what you count as revenue. Our system is of course different, but one of the difficulties faced by "humanities" in Australia is that national competitive research grant funding is counted as revenue in a way that all the money we get from the government for teaching students (overwhelmingly in the humanities and social sciences) is not. Not all revenue is equal.

Catherine

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of c b Sent: Wed 24/03/2010 07:37 To: lbo-talk Subject: [lbo-talk] the cost of the humanities

> [This is by a college classmate of mine who teaches at UCLA.]
>
> Chronicle of Higher Education - March 21, 2010
>
> The Humanities Really Do Produce a Profit
> By Robert N. Watson

I'm astounded that Yudof is so poorly informed about which departments actually generate revenue for the university. I work at a community college, and it's common knowledge among both faculty and administrators that the liberal arts are the cash cows that allow us to run expensive programs like nursing and CADD.

Miles