[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 24 09:13:40 PDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Marta Russell wrote:

> I am not a religious person or affiliated in any way and don't base
> my opposition to capitalism this way but there are allies to find
> there.

There are, but mainly because of their political beliefs, not their religious grounding. Religion can be used to support almost any political point of view. In Latin America, Catholics have been among the most reactionary and most progressive forces. What's the specific contribution of Catholicism to those configurations?

Doug