[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 24 12:25:40 PDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 3:06 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> Doug, the catechism you remember spending your childhood memorizing
> (could it have been the 1885 Baltimore Catechism?) is not the text
> Chris is referring to, a quite different (and much larger) document
> produced a decade ago.

Reading through this thing, it's only a slightly more sophisticated version of the doctrine that was pounded into my head as a child. How can you take anything seriously that treats Satan as real?

<http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p7.htm>

414 Satan or the devil and the other demons are fallen angels who have freely refused to serve God and his plan. Their choice against God is definitive. They try to associate man in their revolt against God.

Not to mention Adam and Eve and all that folderol. Really.

Doug