[lbo-talk] Americans and the bible

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 24 15:09:42 PDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> I would have liked a fourth option in the poll, between "inspired" and
> fables, because to commit to "fables and legends" is the equivalent of
> calling it worthless and meaningless (or pernicious and something like
> evil).

Hmm well I'm not sure I buy this. Fables and legends are far from meaningless and/or worthless - fictions can tell us a lot about human life. But I wouldn't want to grant the fables and legends of the bible any special status somehow "above" fictions, in the sense that they're closer to divinely inspired than anything that Melville or Borges came up with.

Doug