[lbo-talk] Americans and the bible

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 17:57:24 PDT 2010

Yeah, it's clearly for reference. As far as I know, it's essentially universal, at this point. *If* you use chapter and verse divisions, you use these (including in Tanakh in Hebrew). It (probably) came into Hebrew Bibles in part as a result of the debates rabbis were forced to have with Christians, usually in church, in front of a Christian audience. Fortunately, we have Jewish accounts of such things, too. See Falaquera's _Epistle of the Debate_.

The Hebrew titles of the books of Torah are just the first word. So "Bereshit" ("In/At the beginning") for Genesis.