[lbo-talk] Americans and the bible

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 11:19:56 PDT 2010

Those having gone to Catholic school in the K-12 range typically have no real knowledge of the Bible, and they realize that after the first test, if not before. In the case of conservative protestants, they've often not had the experience of looking at the text like they didn't already know what it meant. Because of course they do already know what it means. And I probably have talked here about how striking it is when you get someone in class saying, "but I thought Abraham x," and I say, "well, what does the text say?" and *they *say, "it says Abraham y." Then it's not me telling them. It's them discovering the text and connecting the dots themselves. Much more powerful, I think.

One of the things I've started doing recently, when I'm teaching Biblical material in some other class, is that I will grab a chunk of the text that I want and format it for them like a single continuous plain old story -- no chapters and verse numbers (I usually provide line numbers so that we can refer to the text in discussion). It suddenly becomes a real live story, with characters, and motives, and things happening, instead of a reference book with long chains of statements only in passing connected to the material around them, which is what it's currently presented as.

I keep wishing someone -- and it's a little surprising that Eerdman's or Fortress don't do this, as much as it is that Oxford or Penguin hasn't, yet -- would publish a complete Bible without chapters and verses. KJV is in the public domain, afaik, but it's not what I would want for studying the Bible, or I would just take that and do it my own self. You could use line numbers, and/or provide marginal references to chapters and verses (along the lines of teh way that Plato and Aristotle are typically handled in a Penguin Classics volume).

In fact, this has always seemed to me like a no-brainer volume for Penguin Classics. I would use it for all my classes where they need to buy a Bible. And I have colleagues (religious ones, too) who agree.