[lbo-talk] The Nation invokes "sedition" against the right

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 27 05:23:02 PDT 2010

Given further historical events, Foner may well have been right. This is about the same time as the mass murder in Sumgait and about a year before the civil wars in Tajikistan (which killed 100,000 people), Georgia, and Moldova, and about a year before things started to going to hell in Chechnya.

----- Original Message ---- From: Jesse Lemisch <jesse.lemisch at verizon.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sat, March 27, 2010 3:03:35 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The Nation invokes "sedition" against the right

Early in 1991, some autonomy occurred in Lithuania, which was put down by Soviet troops. Eric Foner wrote an article in The Nation saying that Gorbachev of course could not tolerate secession and therefore likened him, heroically, to Lincoln. When I arrived in Moscow in March (?), I f ound that Eric's Nation piece was reprinted on the front page of Pravda.

Jesse Lemisch