[lbo-talk] the new media landscape (cont.)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 28 09:15:02 PDT 2010

http://www.theawl.com/2010/03/photo-gawker-hqs-telescreen-displays-list-of-most-successful-blog-posts

Photo: Gawker HQ's Telescreen Displays List of Most-Successful Blog Posts by Choire posted @12:24 PM

This screen, mounted above the reception desk at Gawker Media's headquarters, currently displays blog posts from across the network with the most unique visitors over the course of the last hour. The names of the posts' authors are included. Earlier this week, we discussed the TV-watching cows of Russia, and suggested that, instead of pretty scenery, the cows be shown pictures of the best, most productive cows. After all, every animal likes the bellyfeel of gazing at a more successful animal. Plus, there's also a nice chilling effect! As we wrote the other day, "there's nothing more motivating than the fear that if you don't churn out enough product you're going to end up at the abattoir."