[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Mar 28 12:18:37 PDT 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:22:00 -0400 Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM, shag carpet bomb
> <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:
>

> And while they are explicitly (in
> most
> cases) or implicitly (in Dawkins' case) right-wingers, Parenti's
> leftism
> makes it all the more likely that I'll be forced to deal with his
> asininity
> in the future.

Dawkins is not a right-winger. He was, for a long time, a member of the British Labour Party, at least until he got disgusted with Tony Blair over Iraq. (When he was a grad student in the US back in the 1960s, he was active in the antiwar movement). Dan Dennett calls himself an old fashion ACLU-type of liberal. Hitchens, as we all know, went neocon after 911. Harris is a liberal in the same sense as his friends, Alan Dershowitz and Marty Peretz are "liberals," from which you can draw whatever conclusions that you wish.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant