[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Mar 28 14:27:24 PDT 2010

At 01:22 PM 3/28/2010, Joseph Catron wrote:
>Personally, I frown upon the production of ill-considered, poorly-reasoned
>crap, which is what nearly all New Atheist (pseudo-)philosophy seems to be
>on those occasions when it deviates from announcement of the obvious, as a
>general rule. I'll refrain from further commentary on Parenti's book until
>I've had the (mis)pleasure of actually reading it, but Elich's review gave
>me little reason to hope that it might elevate itself above the bloviations
>of Dawkins, Harris, or Hitchens. And while they are explicitly (in most
>cases) or implicitly (in Dawkins' case) right-wingers, Parenti's leftism
>makes it all the more likely that I'll be forced to deal with his asininity
>in the future.

so, what is the problem with new atheism, then? that they are rightwingers shouldn't matter should it? and if they are, why would you possibly care? it's a debate being had on the right and the more fragmented the right is, the better.

I picked up a copy. It's dedicated to Giordano Bruno, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno.

Parenti says he started writing the book years ago, in response to the rise of the religious right, but that the project was put aside for other deadlines. He was raised Catholic, considered becoming a priest, mostly because it seemed the most likely way to end up sitting by the right hand of dawg. at 15, he drifted away realizing he just didn't believe in catholic precepts. Later, he delved into various theologies, "just as people might enjoy studying any mythology or belief system with a willing suspension of disbelief. One need not adhere to a religion in order to resonate to it." That statement describes how I felt about religion: other people's religiosity always fascinated me, but more in terms of their practice.

He says he's not interested in people who believe in general, they are not his target. Rather, he's interested in rightwing religious practices. Religious progressives, Parenti thinks, "might find much to agree with in the pages ahead. In any case, they are not the people I am struggling against."

Later he writes:

"religion is what the religious do. One frequently hears that we cannot reject an all-perfect doctrine because of its imperfect adherents. But how else can we decide the workable value of a belief system, save by the performance of its faithful acolytes?

Difficult it is to accept the sacred when it is so heavily besmirched by the profane, when it is vented by the meanest of spirits, breathing spite and hatred rather than mercy and love. ...

Played out in actual history, religion has proven to be more of a toxin than a tonic. A chronicle of all the cruelties and crimes committed in is name would vill more volumes than I could manage. So the record here is by necessity selective. Presented in this book is a two-pronged critique directed not only at the 'beliefs' but at the 'practices' of organized religion, bringing us the shabby side of faith....' (pp 16-7)