[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 20:31:59 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

Still, I have no clear idea what Joe Catron's problem with New Atheism is,
> so as far as I can tell, on Catron's criteria, Parenti may still be a NA.

Allow me the indulgence of quoting myself: "I frown upon the production of ill-considered, poorly-reasoned crap, which is what nearly all New Atheist (pseudo-)philosophy seems to be on those occasions when it deviates from announcement of the obvious, as a general rule."

Here are a couple of articles I've run across in the last 24 hours addressing just how misinformed this bunch is:

http://thegovmonitor.com/world_news/united_states/america-religion-and-the-new-atheist-writers-26911.html http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2010/03/24/the-moral-equivalent-of-the-parallel-postulate

My Facebook has reams of stuff along the same lines.

Based upon what you've written so far, Parenti doesn't seem to fit the NA moniker, although Elich certainly didn't do him any favors when selecting themes and quotes from his book to emphasize in the review.