[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 29 21:20:09 PDT 2010

At 08:31 PM 3/29/2010, Joseph Catron wrote:

>Based upon what you've written so far, Parenti doesn't seem to fit the NA
>moniker, although Elich certainly didn't do him any favors when selecting
>themes and quotes from his book to emphasize in the review.

I don't think you can put it all on Elich. The quote you selected from him that started this whole thing seems to me to match shag's reading and the quotes she's been giving from Parenti's book.

Here's the quote:

"Assessing the Bible in the light of literal interpretation as advocated by fundamentalist Christians, rather than inspiration Parenti finds a deeply troubling narrative ..."

That was somehow turned into Parenti working out of his league as a bible scholar and we were off to the races.