[lbo-talk] The Blind Side

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Mar 31 16:00:49 PDT 2010

At 06:31 PM 3/31/2010, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>1. I don't think Bullock won the Oscar for "Blind Side" specifically. I
>think she won it because she's one of Hollywoods best comic actresses and
>they haven't gotten around to giving her one yet. As I've said before, I
>think she's the contemporary version of Rosalind Russell. Unfortunately,
>Rosalind got movies like "His Girl Friday" and "Picnic" to act in; Bullock
>has not had anything approaching that.
>
>2. Blind Side = racist. Why?
>
>Well, I went to the theater, sat down, and watched a movie about a rich
>white woman from the South who is shocked, shocked to learn that some
>black youth are so poor, they have no safe place to lay their heads and
>not much to eat. She decides to adopt the gentle black giant, who as a
>result of her committed ministrations becomes a football superhero, which,
>of course, is a worthy end for a nearly illiterate black man. So, I don't
>know: when I put all the elements together: his utter inoffensiveness, her
>extreme ballsyness, the fact that all "his people" are presented as his
>enemies, while the white man is his well-intentioned friend, added to
>which is that the only educated, professional black person in the movie
>turns out to also have no other object that to interfere with his
>success.....I conclude that this is a patronizing white fantasy about the
>relationship between whites and blacks.
>
>Joanna

yeah. I agree with that one. It's a rescue fantasy. I didn't have time to really think too hard about the movie. it was something I watched because I needed to cleanse my mind of constant work-related activity. So I vegged out on it. And then too busy to actually organize my thoughts on the topic.

and thanks for putting into words what troubled me about the attorney investigation NCAA violations.

this film was an excellent example of twisted identity politics in that regard!