[lbo-talk] On immigration

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 2 13:09:41 PDT 2010

Joseph Catron wrote:

> Anyhow, can someone point me towards a substantial argument, from a
> perspective that will make sense to working Americans, in favor of amnesty,
> other than pure "let's share the misery" do-gooderism or pie-in-the-sky
> revolutionary theorizing? Note that I'm looking for a reference to something
> book- or at least article-length. The kinds of buzzwords and slogans common
> in e-mail exchanges will be of limited use to me, although you're welcome to
> throw them out for your own gratification.

First you have to acknowledge that there is no possible argument leftists can make on this that will appeal to more than a v erry very small pfercentage of workers -- say one or two percent. A left that wants to be immeidately poular under present condtions simply isn't a left.

Given that, the reason is simple: solidarity.

One percent of the workforce solidly behind that as their principle and engaged in militant actions to demand it would have a strong impact on the quality of public life. If over a period of two or three years they increased their numbers by say one-half of one percent, they would be triggering enough hysteria on the part of far rightists that the "establishment" would have to begin to look for ways of somehow calming the atmosphere. At that point the whole politial climate is changed -- unpredictably, but it would be more open, more aware of possibility. It might, like most left struggles for 200 years end in defeat. See Rosa Leusemburg on the Paris Commune.

Carrol