[lbo-talk] On immigration

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun May 2 12:49:10 PDT 2010

At a particular party's event last night, it quickly became apparent, as has occurred to me before, that most American leftists are incapable of talking about immigration and its effects for five seconds without saying something profoundly stupid. If they aren't pretending that the infusion of twelve to twenty million new laborers has had no effects on wages and working conditions, they're implicitly advocating lower labor costs; and if they aren't drawing idiotic parallels to the Pilgrims and the Indians (because we all know how well that worked out for the Indians, right?), they're yammering about "jobs Americans won't do." (This last one produced great amusement for me last night, when one conversant proposed that Americans would never "push a broom" for a living, and it turned out that another one, a while, middle-class-looking guy, was a state custodian. Huzzah!)

Anyhow, can someone point me towards a substantial argument, from a perspective that will make sense to working Americans, in favor of amnesty, other than pure "let's share the misery" do-gooderism or pie-in-the-sky revolutionary theorizing? Note that I'm looking for a reference to something book- or at least article-length. The kinds of buzzwords and slogans common in e-mail exchanges will be of limited use to me, although you're welcome to throw them out for your own gratification.