[lbo-talk] It's May Day...

John Treat johntreat at lavabit.com
Sun May 2 13:25:07 PDT 2010

First post, so "Hi all." Formalities having been thus dispensed of...

What I think Carrol's response misses (if I may be so bold) is simply that the opportunity that only the digital commons allows - the "crack in the system," if you will - is first-hand experience: personal witness. There *are* blogs / fora / twitter streams (gag, I know) out there that recount personal experience (and / or interpretation of other personal experience found online) that has zero chance of reaching any audience through broadcast media. It may not be much - but it could be the difference between life and death, and it needs to be understood and strategically expanded. At a certain point of scale, such phenomena even become "newsworthy." Think of what twitter was for Iran last year. Yes, that was a largely reactive, desperate, un-theorized application of a weird new medium, to be sure, and the results were not what one might have hoped for. We need to imagine and fight for the more proactive, considered, theorized versions of these new media - 'cause otherwise we may have to just keep watching celebs bitching back and forth at each other and their fans. That or lose touch altogether.

j.