[lbo-talk] It's May Day....

shrill.polemic shrill.polemic at gmail.com
Mon May 3 11:41:28 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 8:38 PM, <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:

> This is why the videogame culture is so fascinating. Gaming isn't policed
> by advertising and oligopolistic pipelines; studios live or die by giving
> fans what they want, not what advertisers want. Thanks to fans, and thanks
> to the blooming, buzzing confusion of the digital commons, the result is
> astonishing creativity. Videogames have delivered some of the most
> ferocious critiques of Empire and neoliberalism ever cooked up by artists.
>
> -- DRR

A couple of points. First aren't the leading video game franchises war games or sports games - Call of Duty or Madden NFL football? Not exactly reflexive or anti-empire.

Also it seems that most gaming occurs on one of two platforms - either the Sony PS3 or the Microsoft Xbox. If most game content is routed through those devices doesn't the opportunity for corporate content filtering remain?

>From past posts you've written quite a bit about the gaming industry
so I'd love to hear more from you on this.

Thanks

shrill