[lbo-talk] It's May Day....

shrill.polemic shrill.polemic at gmail.com
Mon May 3 12:47:13 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Old fart that I am, videogames kind of give me the creeps. Content aside,
> don't they encourage people to sit in front of a screen all by themselves in
> a way that encourages atomization and social isolation?
>
> Doug

Depends on the game. If it's played online which is pretty common these days, it's a collaborative process. Consoles used for online play include headsets so players talk to each other as they play.

Not that it's necessarily good - and the game dictates the nature of the collaboration, but play is with and against others.

In theory a game could teach collective power building but I've never seen one.

shrill