[lbo-talk] The Ideology Problem

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 3 18:45:56 PDT 2010

I think the core of shag's discussion of liberalism could be summed up in the propsition: Liberals believe Progress is a law of history, as opposed to Luxemburg's view that barbarism & freedom are simply possibilities, neither an expression of historical necessity, though empirically barbarism is the greater probability. And against Ted, I think when Marx said "Struggle" in response to the question What is, he too was seeing barbrism and freedom merely as possiblities in a world ruled by contingnecyl.

Carrol