[lbo-talk] Christian right leader takes vacation with rent boy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 5 08:17:54 PDT 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:

A lot of stuff that responded to nothing I said, and things I didn't say. So it's clear this isn't going anywhere. But on this specific matter:

> But the guy in question was a leading spokesperson for the "ex-gay"
>> movement:
>>

> Where did you get such a silly idea as that? Between April 1 and May
> 3, the
> day before this non-story broke, Google News returns exactly one
> article
> mentioning the guy. With standards like that, I hate to think what
> you might
> have pegged me as a "leading spokesman" for at various points.
> Frankly, the
> methodology through which DiscoverTheNetwork once decided that I was
> some
> kind of influential figure among the anti-globos seems to have been
> much
> sounder.

I quoted this:

<http://gawker.com/5531106/comment-of-the-day-oh-happy-gay>

> For those in the medical and mental health communities who are
> focused on LGBT issues (like yours truly), this is like Christmas,
> Halloween, your Birthday, and gay Prom all rolled into one. This guy
> is one of the top three 'scientific types' touted by NARTH, the ACP,
> etc as providing professional clinical support to the ex-gay/ex-
> trans movement.

for a start. Also: the guy is a co-founder of the Family Research Council and a frequent "expert witness" in lawsuits. The ACLU thought him worth a factsheet:

<http://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights_hiv-aids/howard-v-arkansas-george-rekers-fact-sheet

>.

He's an officer of The National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality, which believes that homosex is a psychopathology that can be cured. And his appeal to religious conservatives crosses denominational lines:

<http://catholiceducation.org/articles/sexuality/ho0097.html>

> Same-Sex Marriage: Not in Kids' Interest
>
> GEORGE A. REKERS
>
> A recently published review of the scientific literature — compiled
> by George A. Rekers, professor of neuropsychiatry and behavioral
> science at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine —
> lends strong support to the Church's objection to homosexual
> parenting, adoption, and foster parenting.

His command of the science, however, was dismissed by a trial judge as ideologically motivated drivel:

<http://www.aclu.org/files/FilesPDFs/howard2.pdf>, pp. 15-16.

Doug