[lbo-talk] how did you become a lefty

John Treat johntreat at lavabit.com
Wed May 5 12:26:00 PDT 2010

I've always skewed leftish, however haltingly and imperfectly, but LBO talk is mostly responsible for any real radicalization I've experienced (and continue to experience). I've lurked for maybe a year, basically since googling across Doug's interview with James Howard Kunstler after hearing the latter on local radio here (South Africa). Have remained quite in awe of having the opportunity to listen in on many of the discussions here, and have followed and tried to absorb as many of the links as I could find time for. Have done lots of leftish things in my life (organizing farmers in Bosnia after the war, working against GBV in sub-Saharan Africa, defending rights of association and expression globally) but largely on intuition and without an adequate theoretical grounding. Still learning, but already profoundly grateful, especially to Doug, shag, SA, Carrol, MPerelman, and B&N.