[lbo-talk] how did you become a lefty

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed May 5 13:13:19 PDT 2010

I came to college as a right-wing liberal in '67 thinking I would join ROTC, got radicalized by my freshman comp professor who was a recent Berkeley Ph.D. (He was kind of an a-hole; got thrown out of the department, went on to write some big books. Name was Peter Manso. You can google him.) Later he got me into Norman Mailer's New York City mayoral campaign, another step in the process. I decided to major in English instead of math. Rutgers English dept was also the home of Partisan Review, at one time a great radical publication. The big issues were race and the war. I came to radical politics via PR & modern fiction (Mailer, Burroughs, Heller, Baldwin) and beat poetry. But for politics I would have gone to grad school in English lit (got into Washington U/St Loo and U of Iowa or Indiana, forget which) and probably would have spent my life as an old fogie ranting about semiotics, post-structuralism, cultural studies, etc.