[lbo-talk] The Ideology Problem | The Activist

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 13:21:13 PDT 2010

I think we can agree that inept offensives and defensives are really bad. The thing about "Sicko" that made it work was not just how badly the inscos screwed ordinary people, but the way that other health systems worked. He in effect picked up and publicized solutions. The reason the preposterous rightwing claims about Obama care had traction was that Obama care and its claims are preposterous -- we'll call it universal health care when what it is is a requirement to buy insurance in four years from the inscos that are screwing you now, and it'll still leave millions of people uninsured. That's an argument that Obama's argument rightfully loses.

The fact that self-proclaimed liberals have been responding to rightwing bullshit claims with a laughably inept parade of wonky details doesn't mean that the best approach is to say, well, they're bullshit, but since we can't argue effectively against their assumptions, just remember that we're really smarter and nicer, too.

[WS:] There is hardly anything worse than picking up a fight and launch an inept offensive (or defensive) only to be thoroughly beaten by your opponent. This demonstrates your weakness for everyone to see. If you abstain, people may suspect that you are weak, but they can never be sure.

Counteracting every bullshit claim made by the right is counterproductive, because it allows the right to call the shots and set the agenda for the debate. Ignoring their diatribes - i.e. much of what the right wing media are spewing - and instead picking up and publicizing the battles in which the left has a chance of winning seems far more effective.

For example, instead of denunciation of teabaggers (which only gives them more publicity) a far better strategy would be what Michael Moore did in "Sicko" - showing how inscos screw up ordinary hard working people who have private insurance, instead of bemoaning the lack of insurance by the "less fortunate." Unfortunately, the liberals missed that boat again and instead focused on "helping the uninsured minority" and unconvincing refutations of the preposterous right wing claims that Obama care = government takeover=bad thing. Guess what, most people I talked to believe that shit now.

Wojtek