[lbo-talk] left is to blame for tea party

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 10:21:31 PDT 2010

C. G. Estabrook

The apparent contradiction that you point to is what led him to the consideration of propaganda and the "the manufacture of consent." He calls it "Hume's problem":

'Hume found "nothing more surprising" than "to see the easiness with which the many are governed by the few; and to observe the implicit submission with which men resign their own sentiments and passions to those of their rulers. When we enquire by what means this wonder is brought about, we shall find, that as Force is always on the side of the governed, the governors have nothing to support them but opinion. 'Tis therefore, on opinion only that government is founded; and this maxim extends to the most despotic and most military governments, as well as to the most free and most popular."

^^^^^ CB : Hume has it backward fundamentally , here. Force or the state power is always on the side of the governers.