[lbo-talk] anti-pro contradictions

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon May 10 21:15:26 PDT 2010

I think what SOB and Mike have written is very good when it comes to the libertarian side of Americanism... which, I'll admit seems to be the ideological foundation of the economic TPers (Scotts or Charmin?). At the same time, in terms of the issue of Reaganism raised in the other (presently ongoing - there have been quite a few, no?) thread, what Reaganism did so brilliantly is - to be all traditionally and dichotomously gendered - married a libertarian economic husband to a populist communitarian wife. The masculine husband role, here, stakes out a position where freedom means the opportunity to crush opponents through efficient, competitive markets. The feminine wife role embraces a position where freedom means the space to embrace neighbors through affective, face-to-face relationships. Both tend to embrace the ways "the state" produces "government bureaucracies" of the social control variety, the former seeing that as the state's proper limit and the latter seeing it making true community possible. The dad argues that its a dog eat dog world out there while the mom indicates that anything can be worked out over milk and cookies. Both sides of Reaganism embrace the idea of a democratic state, representative government. What they both had is when that democratic government, those state representatives, go and produce laws which generate regulatory bureaucracies that constrain property rights in the name of civil rights or enable civil rights that support people who don't like or can't eat milk and cookies (much less the way things get worked out over them). Its not just that the left seems - without the always problematic Soviet Union - to have no clear economic alternative except European-style (read un-American) social democracy, its also that the left seems - given post-modern uncertainty about singular or even primary identities - to have no clear alternative vision of community. There is the agrarian and often crunchy left, with its adoration of localism... but most of this, at best, reaches to bioregionalism, a wildly problematic eco-socio- spatial category if ever there was one. This, it seems to me, means that when there's a clear incident or enemy - Iraq 2003, Katrina '05 or Seattle '99 (capital appears to be too amorphous these days) - then the left can act but not based on much more than agreement across apparently irreconcilable differences... there is no center to hold. I'm tired, too much grading, here's hoping this is coherent as makes a contribution. A