[lbo-talk] National Journal: Do 'Family Values' Weaken Families?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue May 11 08:54:32 PDT 2010

Of course, conflating stability with "family values" aspirationally is farcical because, as Stephanie Coontz pointed out (I think on Doug's show), the more stable families rarely reflect the ahistorically nostalgic "traditional" family's values. What these folks need to aspire to - if they want stability - is the gloriously contradictory cosmopolitan, professional, overworked and overscheduled, if democratized, communicative and participatory, family of the more liberal coasts... given the state of the present economy, though - with Obama slapping down Black fathers during the campaign - it would appear that the whole of the polity impedes advancing the translation Doug so clearly described in the last sentence below.