[lbo-talk] anti-pro contradictions

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue May 11 10:17:51 PDT 2010

If you are saying that some of the left are not concerned about whether there is a primary identity that defines the left, and its potential constituencies, I'm with you... but the issue does seem to be a regular concern here. I don't think you have to be hung up on post-modernism - the intellectual exercise - to be concerned about a situation where the political utility of class, or race, or gender, or sexuality, or nationality, or community, or nature serve little political purpose in terms of further developing the left, actively get in the way of further developing the left, and all-too-often don't even serve as starting points for a more integrated if not determinate politics. You, yourself, recently posted a link pointing to an article that addressed the deeply fractured state of politics here in MI. For the folks not "hung-up" on the implosion of the subject of history given post-modern conditions, is there a vision of collective identity or shared community, and if not, how are people being recruited? Simply by dint of their class location?