[lbo-talk] Russia moves Westward

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 08:03:02 PDT 2010

DOUG

>It was a memo from the Russian Foreign Minister to the President. How
is that an embassy press release?

JOHN

Sorry, my bad, not reading or writing carefully enough on too little sleep. My point was that the WSJ reporter took the meaning of the Foreign Ministry memo at face value, whereas Dennis Redmond provided the deeper and in my view, more convincing analysis. It's mostly diplomatic niceties to take some pressure off, to give Russia room to do what it wants to do. Russia concluded a customs union with Belarus and Kazakhstan recently, for Christ's sake. When Medvedev says that the West is the sole source of technical innovation, does anyone knowledgeable think he's being serious?

_________________________________________________________________ The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5