[lbo-talk] More on atheists in church

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Thu May 13 04:48:35 PDT 2010

There is a tradition of radical theology that has existed in the Anglican and Episcopal churches for quite some time now, dating back to Bishop John A.T. Robinson, who back in the 1960s wrote the bestselling book, "Honest to God." This tradition has continued with people like the Anglican theologian Don Cupitt and the retired Episcopal bishop John Shelby Spong. All of these people, in turn, drew upon the work of theologians like Paul Tillich, Rudolf Bultmann, and Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

Someone who was good on this was that old social democrat Michael Harringtin in his book, "The Politics at God's Funeral." Mark Lindley and I wrote about Harrington, amongst others, in our essay, "Six Prominent American Freethinkers." See: www.mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2008/fl161208.html

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] More on atheists in church Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 00:15:59 -0400

Those who read the previous thread on non-believing clergy might find this interview with Robert Jensen's pastor interesting.

http://www.newleftproject.org/index.php/site/article_comments/a_radical_christianity

Here Jensen explains his reasons for affiliating with the Presbyterian Church, USA.

http://www.counterpunch.org/jensen09282006.html

Not that this sort of thing is particularly rare; I was only mildly surprised to recently learn that a longtime community activist, who's as outspoken in his nonbelief as his position allows, is a member in good standing of a mainstream Lutheran church in Midtown. Still, it's interesting to see someone articulate the reasons behind such a choice.

____________________________________________________________ Penny Stock Jumping 2000% Sign up to the #1 voted penny stock newsletter for free today! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4bebe741670594c0234st01vuc