[lbo-talk] More on atheists in church

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu May 13 05:37:03 PDT 2010

I learned a great deal about the Anglican church in 1984, riding my bicycle around Scotland. During a week of day-trips using Oban as a hub, and while staying (with a newly-met woman from Mill Valley) in the cheapest B&B in the country, I met a gay Anglican priest, also staying at the B&B, who worked at the Abbey on Iona during the summer and with the poor in Glasgow in the winter. I've met a raft of humane, critical, class-conscious and activist folks in my day but few as truly and deeply human as that man... in retrospect, the kind of person and life Spong advocates for in Jesus for the Non-religious. While I'm told the Episcopal Church in the US is a low church relative to the Angilican high, perhaps the accidental "three-for-the-price-of-two" baptism that happened when my parents visited my aunt, then-uncle and cousins on Cape Cod in '63 isn't as truly odd as I thought it was (esp., given my dad's historical preaching athiesm.)