[lbo-talk] Chomsky on Tea Partiers

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri May 14 19:19:48 PDT 2010

Chomsky has explicitly denied that he considers the tea partiers as a working class uprising. "Rather, as petty bourgeois with substantial appeal to the working class -- incidentally, as the Nazis were." But they may include 18% 0f the population. He's spoken and written about this, e.g., at the Left forum, posted in various places, including Znet a few weeks ago.

He thinks it much more important that 48% of the population sympathize with the tea party attitudes and beliefs (as compared with 44% for Obama) in the NYT poll. Its the outreach that the left should be reaching out to. He thinks that what the left should be doing is "what it did in the 1930s, when there was also a very dangerous nativist movement, but it was countered by working class organizing."