[lbo-talk] Chomsky on Tea Partiers

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Fri May 14 22:22:57 PDT 2010

I wonder if he has seen the numerous studies showing that the Tea Partiers are, to a large extent, privileged middle class and upper middle class workers and petit bourgeois who really don't have much in the way of "real grievances" but are a bunch of racist, ignorant spoiled people made even more ignorant and racist by talk radio demagogues.This may be true--but the point is that TP represents political prejudices that are widely held amoung the white, middle-American working class (i.e., people who may not explicitly identify themselves as TPers). E.g., most of the gold miners in my home town in Nevada. And these prejudices preceded the existence of TP--people know they're being fucked, know the Fed has something do with it and seek retribution. There is a lot they are confused about, of course; but no more so than the average liberal (and at least the get the gov'ment and economy are part of the problem, unlike most liberals I would say). And, practically, they are not more racist than liberals in my experience, but they do happen to work in jobs were immigrants represent potential competitors and likewise their livelihood is directly dependent on destroying the environment, hence similarly "ignorant" attitudes re: conservation.

Peter Ward pontificatingwithoutalicense.wordpress.com

_________________________________________________________________ http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/ We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us now