[lbo-talk] the new Weekly Worker

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 13:54:53 PDT 2010

James: Nothing short of a European-wide revolt will overthrow this malignant dictatorship (which, for reasons I can't fathom, the 'Weekly Worker' seems to view with too much affection).

Somebody: Has there ever been a European-wide revolt in history? Not in 1789 nor during the French Revolutionary War, nor in the Napoleonic Wars, or in 1830, 1848, or 1871. The Russian Revolution sparked failed revolts in Hungary and parts of Germany. The end of the Second World War produced similarly patchy left-wing upsurges, that in Greece, France, and Italy were put down with Soviet compliance.

Considering how ill-suited the Westphalian system of nation-states has been to spreading revolutions, why not support an even stronger European Union? It amuses me that as soon as the capitalists become better internationalists than Marxists ever were, the progressive content of international union suddenly dissolves. The EU is what the Soviet Union *should* have done, if it really had any progressive claim whatsoever.