[lbo-talk] the new Weekly Worker

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 07:04:01 PDT 2010

[WS:} I agree. Most of the the anti-EU vitriol seems to be more rooted in British insularism than anticapitalism - not that much different than attacks on Jewish bankers, antisemitism disguised as anti-capitalism.

As far as the prospects of a pan-European revolt, or rather lack thereof, is concerned, I think it has less to do with the nature of the European state, but more to do with "civil society" or a wide array of intermediary institutions that link collective interests. They offer a much better prospect of bringing political change desired by a particular group of actors and at a much lower cost than a revolt. That is why revolts occurred only in countries that lacked these mediating structures, as aptly observed by Trotsky and Gramsci.

Wojtek