[lbo-talk] for want of a rope

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon May 17 17:40:01 PDT 2010

It is making an excuse to say that pedaphilic Catholic priests occur at no higher rate than in the general public.

I am not saying that I expect the church to be free of pedaphilia, I am saying - as others have - that priests and hierarchies who rigidly hold others to higher standards and are in positions of notable authority can legitimately be held to higher standards than that of the general public... but that, at least, they ought to be deeply committed to better vetting themselves and holding themselves to higher standards, something Ratzinger and oh so many others have clearly gone out of their way not to do.

Furthermore, Ratzinger's conservatism and that of his mentors and buddies has done everything it could to make sure that priests remain celibate, that they not be able to marry or have children, that women not be allowed to enter the priesthood (none of which is Biblical - you've read Spong, Borg, et al.) and that any and all elements and tendencies within Vatican II are obliterated... In short, pretty much any tendencies towards progressive reform of the church, towards transparency about the church's contradictions and self-imposed irrationalities, towards forms of administration that might have dealt with pedaphilia and its prevalence (at "normal" Western rates - as if these rates were part, parcel and intimately related to our Church associated, though not determined, neuroses about bodies, fluids, sex and sexuality) have been rejected by the Pope and his cronies.

And, I apologize, I left words out, I meant another institution that has done as much to suppress information about and deny culpability in the face of pedaphilia in its ranks. In that case, I don't think the legal professional fits.