[lbo-talk] for want of a rope

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 17 20:51:18 PDT 2010

Boccaccio has a fine story about two friends in Paris, one xtian, the other Jewish. The Xtian kept trying to convert his friend with no success. Then the Jew told his friend that he was going on a trip to Rome. The friend gave up all hope of converting his friend after he was exposed to the corruption of Rome. But his friend came back eager to convert. Why? He figured that if an institution could last with such creeps and incompetents running it, it must have somethng to offer.

Carrol