[lbo-talk] Teabaggers query

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue May 18 19:12:57 PDT 2010

i work with three guys who are involved. r's family are all ideologically inclined. when r went to visit his father who's been very sick he asked, "why does she hate america?"

i don't see racism has what motivates any of them. they would have been like this no matter what. they would have been freaking out were hillary in office. does anyone not remember the reaction with clinton?

I interviewed some folks at work, about obama and his effect on the left, it was for that article i just wrote. i interviewed two black guys who have to work with tea partiers, and they are definitely making racist comments and really digging for any reason at all to find something wrong with the guy, but they were like that before.

my impression of the guys i work with are that they are pissed b/c they aren't in power -- their party. they will do anything at all to find something wrong with the current administration. they will find something wrong with everything obama does or doesn't do. reality doesn't factor into it. the government is out to grab their guns, obama sank the economy, evertyhing that is wrong is because the government did it, and if capitalism fucks them over, it's because of the government.

when i told one of them about the guy who predicted the bubble burst and then predicted, accurately, the trough and told him about the history of recent recoveries being jobless such that there was a ~2 year lag in job creation, he blinked blinked blinked. he's been told repeatedly that it's all obama's fault that it was a shocker to listen to any other explanation. that's when he started going nutso about the unpredictability of it all. fear seems to be a big thing for them.

i posted to the list about all this but am too lazy to look it up.

but yeah, it's an old phenom. they're just the same 30% or so who supported shrub and the war no matter what happened. there's no "movement" and, at least for the folks i know from work and from r's family, there is zero about this that involves resentment. the three guys at work are successful by any measure. their jobs weren't in jeopardy and haven't been. two were layed off, but because they didn't move to the new corporate location - their choice.

these guys at work, and def. r's family, would have been flipping a lid had clinton won or gore or kerry or edwards.