[lbo-talk] Teabaggers query

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Wed May 19 08:41:50 PDT 2010

Michael Smith asked:

Has your friend always been like this? Would he have thought that Hillary "hated America" less than Michelle, if she were in the White House again? How much do you think Obie and Michelle's "mocha-ness" has to do with it? Not rhetorical questions -- I'm really wondering.

Oh yeah, he's always been like this. That's why our debates are so much fun (he's good natured about our differences).

In fact, many, if not all, of his TP dovetailing talking points are taken from the script he recited during the Clinton years. (In both cases, the harshest words are reserved for the enemy camp's First Lady: Sen. Clinton was, and is a shrew, Michelle Obama is an "unlady-like", Muslim princess who hates America but loves haute couture, which makes her the world's best-dressed terrorist sleeper agent.)

The racial component is complex.

My friend is no racist in, as Carrol correctly flagged it, "the vulgar sense" which I take to mean, the kind of people who, for example, proudly wear "No N-words In NASCAR" t-shirts and always manage to squeeze blame the black guy stories into their daily narrative.

After all, we wouldn't be friends if he were.

Still there is a subtle sort of racial discomfort in play. Carrol put it well when he posted:

Racism has a million faces, most of which are not crudely racist. Remember the old anti-semitic slogan, "Some of my best friends are Jews." There are those who are happy to work with Blacks. Who would defend the right of a black family to move into the house next door, who would even not blanch too much at having their daughter marry a Black Man. But you cannot have a Black Family in the White House Symbolizing WHAT AMERICA IS.

[...]

In my experience, my white comrades often mistake "Racism", in total, as what happens when some white dude flips the hell out -- for example, the case a few years ago of the Walmart employee who refused to accept a corporate credit card from a black man, and called the cops, assuming the card was stolen. This sort of thing happens everyday but at this point in our history, seem more like instances of individual or group psychopathology, channeled via time-worn racial anxieties than the state of the art.

.d.