[lbo-talk] Teabaggers query

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 19 07:12:56 PDT 2010

Michael Smith wrote:

>> Has your friend always been like this? Would he have thought that
> Hillary "hated America" less than Michelle, if she were in the White
> House again? How much do you think Obie and Michelle's "mocha-ness"
> has to do with it? Not rhetorical questions -- I'm really wondering.

Let's split the question. There was irrational hatred of the Clinton Administration among a substantial slice of the Republican Party. They could not see that he was in fact giving them a lot of what they had been wanting for years. The attempt to impeach him is evidence of this reaction. But they never took to the streets.

The content of the response to Obama is the same as the content of the response to Clinton. The INTENSITY has been greatly increased. I think that growth in intensity comes from having a Black Man in the White House. Many of them undoubtedly have Black friends. They aren't in any vulgar sense racists. But they just can't stand it to have a Black First Family.

Carrol