[lbo-talk] Teabaggers query

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 06:34:21 PDT 2010

[WS:] During my previous marriage I met a bunch of people who were fairly conservative and outspoken, so I would imagine they would be the "teabagger folk" today, although I do not know for sure, since I lost contact with them.

>From what I saw, they were a diverse group - some were hillbillies or blue
collar workers other were professionals or white collar workers, some were older other were younger, some were X-tian - or rather church goers rather than religious types as they often talked about their church social affairs and never about faith - other were not (or perhaps indifferent.) What they had in common, however, was US-centrism (or militant patriotism) and visceral hatred of anything that smacked of intellectualism, high culture and big city life (anti-intellectualism.) Most of their conversations that I heard centered on how wicked the "liberal elites" were rather than what they themselves stood for. The latter seemed to be tacitly taken for granted and reaffirmed with occasional catch phrases like "I am just a little guy trying to make a living" or 'I am just an ordinary guy I do not know those big words."

It appears that for these people the main worldview distinction is between the familar and the "gemuetlich" of which they are a part, and the unfamiliar and threatening represented by the periphery of their social circle (big cities, liberal elites, ethnic minorities, etc.) Although these sentiments are manipulated by demagogues, I did not perceive these people as inherently dangerous to someone like myself who represented everything their loathed (an educated left wing foreigner from a big city.) These folk appeared to be mostly barking and little if any biting - and in so doing they appeared to fight smoke-and-mirror demons created for them by politicians, clergy and other demagogues rather than attacking real persons.

So if that observation is indicative, asking about the "teabagger movement" is asking leading questions that assume a certain "essentialism" (pardon this dreadful pomo jargon) of that movement, where there is none. What there is is a bunch of not very sophisticated and insular people scared shitless by demagogues and launching verbal attacks on the perceived demons that are supposed to menace their way of life.

I do not mean to belittle this - after all such folks tend to be the cannon fodder for fascist movements. However, for them to become such fodder, there would need to be a well organized fascist movement - but none is in sight in the US today. All there is is a lot of smoke but no fire.

Wojtek