[lbo-talk] Teabaggers query

Bob Morris bob.morris at gmail.com
Wed May 19 10:29:48 PDT 2010

We just moved to southern Utah from Socal (for a number of reasons.) A friend who has lived here a while says he has several Tea Partier friends and that most aren't racist and some are Democrats.

Interesting place, way patriotic, but as many of the older ones were Downwinders and people are still dying from the radiation (including an ex-governor of Utah in 1990) , they tend to have have little faith in what the government tells them.

If you don't know about the Downwinders, I just did a blog post on them. It's one of the more despicable moments in federal government history, and that takes some doing.

http://polizeros.com/2010/05/18/downwinders-bill-seeks-to-increase-payments-to-those-affected-by-atomic-blasts/

I think trying to define Tea Partiers is like trying to define the Left. There's way too many factions for that, including some who loathe each other.

If you're wondering why we left Socal, California, IMO is a train wreck and it's getting worse. Plus, my wife is a CPA and they were laying off CPAs during tax season in Socal, something that has never happened before. Things here are better, and she may join a practice with a friend here. Plus the cost of living is absurdly less, the scenery spectacular, there's no traffic, lots of stores within 5 minutes, and genuinely friendly people.

And since everyone asks, the Mormon thing is a non-issue. There's actually a lot of ex-Californians here now.