[lbo-talk] Noam 1, Israelo-apartheid 0

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu May 20 15:28:30 PDT 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> Just as all languages can share deep structures and yet be mutually
> incomprehensible

How false can a premise be? There are no untranslatable human languages, and never have been.

> , so can all moralities. They might all have taboos, they might all
> have a sense of right and wrong. But what counts as right or wrong
> can -- and is -- often entirely the opposite.

An equally false conclusion. Obviously what is right in one situation can be wrong in another. Equally obviously, mores (folkways) differ in different natural and social environments. But that has nothing to do with justice. Show me one instance where a society's folkways include the idea that there is no injustice in convicting a defendant on admittedly false evidence for a crime that he admittedly had no connection with.

Since the notion of injustice is universal, it is clear that the notion of justice is equally universal.

Shane Mage The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.

Joe Stack (1956-2010)