[lbo-talk] Noam 1, Israelo-apartheid 0

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu May 20 15:54:25 PDT 2010

At 03:28 PM 5/20/2010, Shane Mage wrote:

>Show me one instance where a society's folkways
>include the idea that there is no injustice in convicting a defendant
>on admittedly false evidence for a crime that he admittedly had no
>connection with.

Your argument that justice is universal is packed full of specifics like defendant and evidence.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/mphg/mphg.htm

BEDEMIR: Tell me, what do you do with witches?

VILLAGER #2: Burn!

CROWD: Burn, burn them up!

BEDEMIR: And what do you burn apart from witches?

VILLAGER #1: More witches!

VILLAGER #2: Wood!

BEDEMIR: So, why do witches burn?

[pause]

VILLAGER #3: B--... 'cause they're made of wood...?

BEDEMIR: Good!

CROWD: Oh yeah, yeah...

BEDEMIR: So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?

VILLAGER #1: Build a bridge out of her.

BEDEMIR: Aah, but can you not also build bridges out of stone?

VILLAGER #2: Oh, yeah.

BEDEMIR: Does wood sink in water?

VILLAGER #1: No, no.

VILLAGER #2: It floats! It floats!

VILLAGER #1: Throw her into the pond!

CROWD: The pond!

BEDEMIR: What also floats in water?

VILLAGER #1: Bread!

VILLAGER #2: Apples!

VILLAGER #3: Very small rocks!

VILLAGER #1: Cider!

VILLAGER #2: Great gravy!

VILLAGER #1: Cherries!

VILLAGER #2: Mud!

VILLAGER #3: Churches -- churches!

VILLAGER #2: Lead -- lead!

ARTHUR: A duck.

CROWD: Oooh.

BEDEMIR: Exactly! So, logically...,

VILLAGER #1: If... she.. weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood.

BEDEMIR: And therefore--?

VILLAGER #1: A witch!

CROWD: A witch!

BEDEMIR: We shall use my larger scales!

[yelling]

BEDEMIR: Right, remove the supports!

[whop]

[creak]

CROWD: A witch! A witch!

WITCH: It's a fair cop.

CROWD: Burn her! Burn! [yelling]

BEDEMIR: Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?

ARTHUR: I am Arthur, King of the Britons.

BEDEMIR: My liege!