[lbo-talk] Noam 1, Israelo-apartheid 0

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu May 20 21:24:54 PDT 2010

Let me see if I have this right. There is a universal innate element, or form, to justice and language but that in each particular instantiation of justice or language there are qualitatively/incomprehensively different characteristics, or content...

A clear strength of Marxian dialectics, by contrast, is the insistence that when qualitatively different content comes into existence, generated by and productive of qualitatively different dynamics, then the form of what existed before/elsewhere cannot be named or understood to be the same as that which now exists unless one is going to insist on grounding positions in contentless and always underspecified purportedly universal forms. Commodity exchanges (which I am, here, differentiating from use-value exchanges more generally) have always been tied to markets, so Weber defines capitalism in terms of markets, and understands 19th C capitalism as simply a more intense version of what came before, intensified further by the intensification of other and more other aspects of social rationalization. Suffice to say that Marx's analysis of the new mode of commodity production and social reproduction argues otherwise.

My sense of Dennis' unpacking of the assumptions behind Shane's argument about translatability and defendants/evidence support this position.