[lbo-talk] Noam 1, Israelo-apartheid 0

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri May 21 13:31:03 PDT 2010

c b wrote:
> ^^^^
> CB On this, do you consider that _any_ human psychological
> characteristics are the result of natural selection, or that none at
> all are ? I would say that altruism bestowed naturally selective
> advantage on humans. Our high level of sociality is adaptive in the
> Darwinian sense . This is the exact opposite of bourgeois social
> "darwinism".

As andie repeatedly points out (on hiatus?), you can make up any kind of just-so stories you want about the "selective advantages" of characteristic X. That kind of data-free speculation doesn't contribute at all to testing or evaluating modern evolutionary theory. Similarly, concerning the tired nature/nurture debate you allude to above: the only reasonable response to the question, "Are human psychological characteristics the result of natural selection, or are none the result of natural selection" is "yes".

> CB: I think we should take a different approach. We should argue
> that humans' sociality and culture bestowed adaptive advantage on our
> species, and that , if not "justice", then "love" and altruism are
> part of the original human essence. I use "essence" instead of
> "nature", because I'm saying that culture, that defining
> characteristic of our species, is fundamentally social and altruistic.
> (Or it was; it has turned into its opposite in many ways with the rise
> of class antagonistic society).

Well, we can make up any narratives we want. Just don't call it empirically validated evolutionary theory.

Miles